Saturday, September 11, 2010

Jar o' Fun

Yes. We made one.

This post is mostly for mi familia. I have always been the one in the family who likes to entertain. While my other sisters helped my mom cook dinner, I made up games for my little brothers. The picture below is one example of this. I think we were making up a restaurant here. We made menus and took orders from the family, and then cooked the food. Yes, I am kind of nerdy like that. But it's fun to me. :)


One of my other favorite things to do, besides entertaining young children, is make plans. Any kind of plans. I get so excited about them, even though I never carry out half of them. So, anyway, one day my brothers were complaining that they were bored. So, naturally, I combined my two favorite pastimes into one. We wrote ideas for things to do on little slips of paper and then put them into an empty canning jar. And I, trying to be all creative and crafty, and because I wanted to decorate the jar--which is one of my other favorite things to do (decorating, I mean, not decorating jars :) wrote "Jar O' Fun" on it. I don't think they ever even used it, except to once in awhile pull out every piece of paper and read it without doing any of them.

Of course all of my other siblings got quit a kick out of it. Since then it has been a joke that they like to make fun of me for.
HOWEVER.
A few years ago I was at my brother, Peter's, and his wife, Whitney's, house and I happened to notice a strangely familiar looking type of jar on top of the fridge.
Yes.
They had made a Jar O' Fun for family home evening.
So much for making fun of me! I got a good laugh out of that (as well as the fact that I added some of my own slips of paper with things like "Take Allison to dinner" before I left).

Well. Now that I myself am married, I thought we should carry on the tradition.
So we made one.

Laugh all you want, but there are some awesome ideas in there and I'm not telling you what they are! All I can say is that we are going to have lots of fun. You have to make your own!

3 comments:

  1. Great Idea! Going to do this for sure! Thanks . Karen H. : D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea for anyone to use, not just kids. Thank you! Definitely going to pin on to my parenting board on pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea, I'm going to give it to family and friends as a gift, maybe do a secret santa with it.

    ReplyDelete